our little angel

our little angel

Monday, April 2, 2012

Sleep training FAIL!

Oh poor poor baby! I will never put her through that again. We decided last night since she is 4 months and Rob is done his "on set" work to try and train her to fall asleep in her crib on her own. We chose the "ferber" method which is letting her cry for 5 min, go in and comfort her, then 10 min, comfort, then 15 min, and then keep it at max 15 min for the rest of the night. Well, let me tell you, that is NOT the method that will be working with Miss Hailey Bannister!
The first 5 min were good, we put her to bed at her normal 7:30 starting to get sleepy time. She was sort of sucking on her hand and talking to herself then began to cry. After I went in to comfort her she stopped crying and I left. The next 10 min were REALLY long, she cried and cried but by the end of the 10 min her cries sort of sounded less intense so I actually thought it was going to work! So Rob goes in after the 10 min and she starts WAILING! Then I hear Rob say "OMG" so I run in and she literally cried to the point of throwing up and starting to choke on it. I never felt so bad! I mean I've had my share of hearing her cry for her needles and scan but this was horrible since it was our decision. She then sobbed while I held her for quite a while. Let me tell you, so many people swear by this method but I think Hailey is far too stubborn for this. My pediatrician even wanted us to let her "cry it out", as if, this would never have worked.
Anyway, after she fell asleep in my arms, I transferred her to her crib where she slept her usual time (from 8:30 -12 am) and then when I fed her at this point she seemed sort of congested. I wasn't sure if this was left over phlegm from crying or if she caught my cold, but whatever it was I decided she had a hard enough night and I let her crash with me for the rest of the night!
Aside from that, she has settled into a pretty consistent routine where she naps 2-3 times a day and sleeps from around 7:30/8 until about 7 am, (waking up a couple times at night).
So that is my story on sleep training. I am totally ok with rocking/shhing her to sleep even if it means building a habit that way. After all, they are only babies for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment